Skyline Queenstown has been an integral part of the local community since its humble beginnings in 1967. Last year, we welcomed over 900,000 visitors while operating within a host community of approximately 40,000 residents, and we are about to embark on the most substantial capital investment in our history which will future-proof our business for the next 50 years.
To continue operating successfully within the Queenstown community, Skyline has contributed significant resources to increase local engagement, a key objective of our 5-year Business Plan. Our Corporate Social Responsibility plan serves as the blueprint that facilitates strong relationships between our community members and the Skyline family; it ensures that we deliver on our objectives and contribute to a better place for our people, our community and our environment, for now, and for the future.
The CSR plan outlines three key objectives, underpinned by Skyline Queenstown’s Core Values – Fun, Family, Success and Respect:
- We invest in and empower our #skylinepeople to contribute to not only the success of the company but also to the success of our community.
- We engage and support our vibrant community, #lookingoutforqueenstown.
- We contribute to a sustainable future, #wastelessrespectmore.
Crucial to our community engagement is growing our Gondola Annual Pass (GAP) programme; the value-for-money of GAP makes it a must-have in the community. This pass grants locals unlimited Gondola access to Bob’s Peak to enjoy our range of Skyline experiences with visiting friends and families, and includes company-wide discounts, exclusive local promotions and invitations to monthly events.
In 2018, we invested in a Food Truck, Sky Express, to support local fundraisers, such as the Queenstown Primary School Fair, where we donated all proceeds of food sales to the event.
In addition, we have built long-term relationships with key community groups that effect positive change by sponsoring:
- The Wakatipu Wilding Conifer Control Group Inc (WCG) to assist with protecting biodiversity and the remarkable landscape of the Wakatipu Basin and we provide GAP to members who manage an ‘adopt a plot’ section.
- The Queenstown Marathon Skyline Volunteer Crew, supporting 600 event volunteers with a free GAP and T-Shirt.
- LUMA as official installation partner.
- The annual Queenstown Golf Classic since 1968 and we give a GAP to every participant.
- The Wakatipu Junior Rugby Club jerseys and Gondola and Luge rides for the “most committed” player, each team, each week.
- The annual Ronald McDonald Queenstown Supper Club and we donate exclusive dining experiences as prizes.
- Race4Life Palliative Care patients so they can enjoy quality time with their families.
- Local volunteers who are active contributors in the community with a GAP, such as:
- Big Buddy Programme volunteers.
- Queenstown Volunteer Fire Brigade.
- Arrowtown Volunteer Fire Brigade.
- PACT support workers.
- Participation on the committee of the Central Otago H&S Forum.
Furthermore, we donate one-off Skyline experience vouchers and offer discounts to local school and community groups fundraiser, SuperGold cardholders and tourism industry employees.
We also partner with multiple education providers to offer internships, work experience, mentoring and field trips, and we empower our people to be active and positive members of our wider community through numerous initiatives such as funding CIMS training, social sports teams, etc.