Safety on the Luge
All Luge riders receive a full safety briefing from our trained Luge instructors prior to their first Luge and must ride the Scenic Track first to demonstrate their competence before riding the Advanced Track.
The Luge Code of Conduct and instruction video are both displayed at the top of the chairlift before the start zone.
Please note that age/height restrictions apply for children to ride the Luge solo.
Luge Code of Conduct
The Luge Code of Conduct sets out the rules that help make the Luge a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
- Keep in Under Control - remain in control of your speed and direction. Make sure you can stop and avoid any person or obstacle, as it is the Luge riders responsibility for keeping their Luge cart under control. Stay alert in case quick reaction is needed to avoid a collision.
- No Helmet, No Ride - helmets must be worn at all times when riding the Luge. Optional knee and elbow pads are available.
- Pull Back to Stop - To slow yourself or stop the cart pull the handle bars back toward you. DO NOT STOP BY PUSHING HANDLE BARS FORWARD. Keep both hands on the handle bars at all times while riding to ensure ease of steering and braking.
- Keep Your Feet in the Luge Cart at All Times - do not put your feet outside of the cart foot-well, unless completely stopped, as injury may result. Footwear must be worn at all times. Use the brakes to slow or stop the cart!
- Yield to those Below - Yield the right of way to persons downhill and choose a course that ensures their safety. A rider in an uphill position is responsible for manoeuvring to avoid them.
- Don't Block the Track - Stop on the track only if you are visible from above and if you are not obstructing the track. Only stop at the side of the track out of the way of others.
- Respect All Safety Signs - Obey all signs and warnings and never venture off track.
- No Alcohol or Drugs - Do not ride the Luge if your ability is impaired through use of alcohol or drugs.
- Give Mountain Patrol a Hand - If you are involved in, or witness an accident, remain at the scene and identify yourself to first-aid staff.
- Secure Loose Clothing and Articles - Jackets, garments, scarves, long hair and any personal articles should be secured to avoid damage or loss.
- No Group Racing, No Bumping or Skidding - Racing in groups is not permitted. Do not bump into other carts. Do not skid the Luge cart wheels.
- Warning - To ride the Luge you must be in good health and be free of height conditions, motion sickness, back problems or other physical limitations. Expectant mothers should not ride.
- Height Restriction - To ride the Luge by yourself, you must be over 110cm in height and/or 6 years & older. On the Scenic Track, children under 110cm must ride in tandem with an adult. Between 110cm and 135cm, children can ride the Scenic Track unaccompanied. Children over 135cm can ride the Advanced Track unaccompanied.