Queenstown Walking Tracks & Hikes
From the top of the Gondola, there are several walking or hiking tracks to enjoy. Get a copy of the Skyline trail map from the Information Desk (top of gondola) to enjoy the walks around the Skyline complex or visit the Department of Conservation (Shotover St, Queenstown) for a more detailed map of the hikes. A good level of fitness and experience is required for the hiking options.
Situated above the Skyline complex, there are several walks to choose from:
- Self guided interpretive walk (30 minutes+): Take the Gondola up to Skyline and collect a Skyline Trail Map from the Information Desk. Start in the building by viewing the historic picture gallery, then onto viewing deck to Skyline history, interpretive panels overlooking Queenstown, the Luge and Coronet Peak, before following the Luge walking track via the nature’s windows interpretive frames and onto the loop track. Type: Easy walking
- Loop Track (30 minute walk): Take the Gondola up to Skyline. Follow the signage from the base building up past the Luge to the reservoir, turn right at the signpost and meander through the trees before descending back to the Skyline building. Make sure you take time to enjoy the serenity of the bush. Type: Easy walking.
- Lower Ridge Track (25 minute walk - one way): Take the Gondola up to Skyline. Follow the walking track up to the Luge and take the signposted track to the Paragliders. Pass the reservoir and keep walking uphill till signposted to Lower Ridge Track. Follow the track up through the pines, appreciate the absolute silence before emerging onto the ridge above Bob's Peak. Panoramic views of lake, mountains and beyond. Type: Easy to moderate walk. Steady uphill walking. Sturdy shoes required.
- One Mile to the Lakefront (1.5 hour walk): Take the Gondola up to Skyline. Start walking down the Skyline access track and turn right off the track where signposted to One Mile. Follow the old water pipe through native bush, past the 1924 hydro dam to the Fernhill roundabout on the lake edge.
Type: Easy walking.
- Ben Lomond Summit (5 hours return - hike): One of the highest peaks in the Wakatipu basin providing the most stunning views of the region. This can be a full day walk so take extra clothing, drinks and food. Take the Gondola to Skyline, follow the signs to the saddle and the steep ascent on your left to the summit (1747m). Type: Moderate Hike. A good level of fitness is required.
- Moonlight Track to Arthur's Point via the Saddle (6 hour hike): This trail is one of the most popular in the region. This can be a full day walk so take extra clothing, drinks and food. Take the Gondola to Skyline, follow the signs to the saddle then the descent on your right down to the Moonlight Track. Turn right and follow the historic Moonlight Track back to Arthur's Point.
Type: Moderate Hike. A good level of fitness is required.