Skyline News Detail
Skyline Rotorua's Stratosfare Restaurant takes out Beef and Lamb Excellence Awards
Posted on Friday, 11 December 2015
Stratosfare share their secret to excellence
Hanging the coveted gold rimmed plate on its already impressive awards shelf, Skyline Rotorua’s Stratosfare Restaurant and Bar has confirmed its culinary excellence, winning two 2016 Beef and Lamb Excellence Awards.
Skyline’s Stratosfare Restaurant has received awards for it Wagyu Angus scotch fillet steak with mushroom sauce and baby vegetables, and its 250g Canterbury lamb rack with crisp croquette and baby vegetables. The judges stated that both easily reached excellence status.
Celebrating it’s 20th anniversary in 2016, the Beef and Lamb Excellence Awards is New Zealand’s longest running culinary awards. The award acknowledges exceptional chefs and restaurants who consistently reach an impeccable standard of beef and lamb cuisine.
Stratosfare Restaurant manager Nitin Brijwal, says it is an honour for Skyline Rotorua to win the 2016 Beef and Lamb Excellence Awards as they serve as a tribute to the quality of the meat served in the restaurant, as well as the ingenuity of Stratosfare’s chefs.
“At Stratosfare, we source only the best beef and lamb so our guests dine on some of New Zealand’s finest.
“Our team of chefs are constantly pushing the boundaries of culinary excellence with our prime cuts, demonstrating the creativity and innovation every day that earned us this award.”
The latest awards cap off a stellar year for Skyline Rotorua, who this year also won the Air New Zealand Supreme Tourism Industry Association Award and the Rotorua Business Supreme Award. Skyline Rotorua also won accolades at the Rotorua Hospitality Awards and NZChef National Salon earlier this year.
Head Chef, Fred Kreutmayer shares an original recipe:
Angus eye fillet steak with gratin of potato and porcini and roasted garlic sauce
Gratin of potato, truffle and blue cheese:
- Peel and slice potato and place in a bowl.
- Add salt, garlic, blue cheese, truffle oil and cream to the bowl and mix well.
- Fill into a baking dish and bake on 180 degrees celcius for about 50 minutes.
Porcini and roasted garlic sauce:
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in lukewarm water until soft (unless you can get fresh porcini).
- Take mushroom out of water and put aside.
- Cook/reduce the mushroom water until it tastes like the mushroom (this is to concentrate the sauce).
- Chop onion very finely and fry in little butter until golden, add garlic, mushroom and white wine and reduce.
- Add the mushroom concentrate.
- Finish sauce with cream and fresh chopped herbs.
Eye fillet steak:
- Marinate a 250g piece of aged Angus eye fillet steak (or just eye fillet) with mānuka honey, smoked paprika and freshly chopped rosemary.
- Wrap with one slice of streaky bacon and secure with tooth picks.
- Cook on flame grill until the steak is cooked to your liking.
Assemble all the components and a plate and finish with freshly steamed vegetables.
The Inside Track
Who is Orion??
30 January 2017
Here are 6 fun facts about our great hunter in the sky!
8 December 2016
We are entering into the Geminids which is a period from Dec 7th to 14th where we will get more shooting stars than any other time of the year, in fact we can get more than 100 an hour!